DIY EPOXY SURFBOARDS
Why Choose Epoxy Surfboards – Charlie Southpoint
DIY Epoxy Surfboards – Charlie Southpoint
Ah, customizing one’s own surfboard with epoxy – the ultimate sign of commitment and dedication to the surfing lifestyle. Whether it’s a sleek longboard for gliding all over those waves or an aerodynamic shortboard designed to help you launch into flips and tricks, creating your go-to ride is quite the undertaking, but certainly rewarding!
Here are some ideas on how you can make your dream wave catcher using two-part epoxy:
1. Start by referencing online tutorials or magazine articles about different techniques when crafting a durable DIY surfboard from scratch. This way, you become familiarized not only with general construction principles as well as specific details such as types and quantities of foam needed and final measurements desired, but also develop a better understanding of applicable safety protocols, especially if working around electrical machinery.
2. The second step would be gathering the materials required, depending on the type chosen. This should include sheets of Divinycell blended foamcore material, fiberglass cloth, a bottle of clear 3M4000 laminating adhesive with epoxy resin, etc., plus adequate tools, such as a jigsaw with a fine-grain blade, an electric drill with basic bits, and a variable temperature hot wire styro cutter, etc.
3. Carefully cut each layer to suitable dimensions before using an exacto knife and shears to trim the blank perimeter into straight lines, then drape the matting thereon… thereafter distribute it evenly throughout until the entire solidifying shape is covered expertly with smooth edges, while hand sanded planes complete the part’s fabrication process satisfactorily!
4. Next, construct fins according to personal preference between 8 fin box inserts machined at the center point within the tail end of the backside before vacuum sealing for ultra waterproof protection, then curing for a few hours. Oh heck yeah!
5. Now is finally the time to unleash creativity and add colorful designs for a customized look. Perhaps air brushing names and initials or a favorite spray paint stencil technique will sure stand out amongst the crowd. Anyways, just finish layering varathane following the manufacturer’s instructions and let the whole setup harden for a shiny and bright surface. Happy shredding toward the horizon at the bottom turn!